Friday, February 13, 2009

laptops and lattes


I sat in Tillies today. I ordered a green tea with an energy hemp bar and pretended to do work like everyone else because cafes are anything but places to sip lattes and chat with friends. No, they have turned into pseudo offices. Places where people go to drink coffee and type away on their laptops. People will pay for multiple beverages for the ambiance, the white noise, the clutter-free table, and for the cafe energy that helps them be productive.

I sat next to a writer who told me that he was editing. He said that he needed to work at home when he's actually composing a piece, but he needs to be in this setting to edit. He said it gave him 'perspective.' I think I understand what he meant by 'perspective.' I get that feeling when I sit in airport terminals because it heightens my senses and makes me think about where I am and where I am going. It affords me time to be reflective and deep which always puts things in perspective.

The most important thing I learned from sitting at Tillies was that people need to be in different environments to effectively work. The home office may be a good way to start the day, but the local cafe may just what you need to plow through the 3 o'clock hump.

No comments: