Wednesday, May 7, 2008

[ID]entity crisis


Summing up your personality, work ethic, style and creativity on a 3.5" x 2" business card can become grounds for an identity crisis. Yesterday, I had an hour to design a business card for the Pratt Show where our stylized Nissan Cubes would be on display outside of the Manhattan Show Center. The exercise made me self-conscious and I wondered how other industrial designers did it, like do you make sure it says 'designer' or maybe 'industrial designer?' I will probably continue to change it until I retire, but here is an attempt to make a statement. I ended up giving one card to a student illustrator, Danielle Criswell, whose work I liked and wanted to buy, and spent the rest of the time picking up other business cards. Really, a successfully designed business card is hard to come by. It is a lot like good poetry - simple yet evocative.

No comments: