Saturday, October 4, 2008

the power of palm

My father, the most Gandhi-loving, energy-conserving, tree-hugging person I know called me tonight to tell me about an article he found in Time magazine about sustainable, throw-away dishes.

I love the square and hexagonal shapes of the palm-steamed verterra plates instead of the conventional round ones. It really separates itself from the costco-going, bj-bargaining consumer market and brings disposable to a whole new green-chic level.

The article brought me back to my vacation days in India when occasionally we ate our meals on large, flat banana leaves, which are wonderfully waterproof for all those curries. They are used especially during weddings in India when the entire village participates.

I couldn't help but feel my father encouraging me to find inspiration from our own culture for eco-friendly innovations. I was born in Kerala, India -the land of coconut trees, and quite possibly the place where Mike Dwork sourced his palm, and established his million-dollar business.

No comments: